Saturday, April 21, 2018

Romans 9 is Not about Predestining Pharaoh for Destruction



Calvinist Proof-Texts Answered

“For the scripture saith unto Pharaoh, Even for this same purpose have I raised thee up, that I might shew my power in thee, and that my name might be declared throughout all the earth.” (Rom. 9:17)

Romans 9 is Not about Predestining Pharaoh for Destruction

“But, for this very reason, I have kept you from destruction, to make clear to you my power, and so that my name may be honoured through all the earth.” (Exodus 9:16; Bible in Basic English)

“And in very deed for this cause have I preserved thee through all the plagues and till the end, for to shew in thee My power; and that My name may be declared throughout all the earth.” (Exodus 9:16; E. W. Bullinger’s Companion Bible, 1909)

Commentary: “....the Hiphil is so much the more naturally translated, to allow to remain. It gives additional recommendation to this meaning, that the connection immediately suggests it; for Pharaoh might already have been carried off by the preceding plagues, and still more might this have happened in the threatened pestilence.” - August Tholuck, Exposition of St. Paul’s Epistle to the Romans (Philadelphia: Sorin and Ball, 1844), p. 326. The passage has nothing to do with God, before the beginning of time, predestining Pharaoh to be a vessel of destruction for his glory as some Calvinists falsely insinuate. On the contrary, God mercifully preserved and protected the undeserving Pharaoh when the plagues could have destroyed him.


Visit our web page:
www.vindicatinggod.org

Like us on Facebook:
https://www.facebook.com/vindicatinggod/

Follow us on Twitter:
https://twitter.com/_victoriousword

Subscribe to our YouTube channel:
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCXn0mUpckKTDhLiRiR5PIJg

No comments:

Post a Comment