Wednesday, February 21, 2018

Some Thoughts on My Teachings about God Not DIRECTLY Punishing People

Some Thoughts on My Teachings about God Not DIRECTLY Punishing People

Sometimes when you begin to emphasize a Biblical truth that, though it is nothing new, never originated with you, but is not often emphasized in the church, some see you as bringing a new radical doctrine. Some even look at you as going overboard on a particular doctrine.

Basically, I have discovered (or, I should say that others first discovered it and through personal research I have found more evidence) that God's primary method of exercising His anger, cursing, wrath, vengeance, killing, tempting, hardening, etc. has been to "forsake" or to "withdraw" his presence. The evidence for this truth is abundant in Scripture. It is something that was first pointed out to me by other Bible teachers. I then studied it for myself and found much more concrete Biblical data for it. I have laid out most of this info in my books.

Sometimes people only learn of my views by reading my posts and memes on Facebook. Questions are asked and while I don't mind answering them, most answers can usually be better found and understood by reading my books. A meme on social media is not going to relate this truth as thoroughly as my books will. Allow me to address at least two objections I sometimes receive:

YOU TEACH THAT GOD IS PASSIVE IN JUDGMENT
Not really. God is actively involved but not in the sense that He is personally inflicting people with sickness, death, natural diasters, evil spirits, etc. God is active, as continually protecting people from disaster and the consequences of sin. When His people rebel He is also active in continually pleading with His people to return to Him so that He would not have to remove His protection from them. When they choose their idolatry over Him then He finally says:

"And he shall say, Where are their gods, their rock in whom they trusted, Which did eat the fat of their sacrifices, and drank the wine of their drink offerings? let them rise up and help you, and be your protection." (Deuteronomy 32:37-38)

In other words, you want to forsake God and worship false gods, then depend on them to protect you. It is unreasonable for God to keep protecting those who prefer to continue sinning. The fact that He even continues protecting them for some length of time when they fall into sin shows His great mercy.

YOUR IDEA THAT GOD REMOVES HIS PROTECTION AND LETS EVIL HAVE THEM MAKES HIM JUST AS HARSH AS DOING IT HIMSELF
Again, not really. The facts is that people actually start out forsaking God before He ultimately forsakes them (Deut. 31:16-18; 2 Chronicles 15:2; 24:20). We actually leave God's umbrella of protection. Numerous Scriptures show God pleading with the Israelites to return to Him so that He would not have to remove His protection from them. But when they constantly reject Him then He is left with no other choice but to leave because He has been pushed away. However, when they repent and return to Him after suffering God jumps right back into action and rescues them from their oppressors.

Most people believe that God directly punishes people by personally inflicting sickness, natural disasters, etc. I believe all of this occurs because we live in a fallen world that is prone to disastrous events that God is often working to prevent. When men choose to rebel He releases His restraint on these things He was holding back that sin brought forth in the first place. I have shown in my writings that a strong Biblical case can be made for this position and any Bible passage that states that God had any direct involvement can be interpreted in the permissive sense.

I hope this helps people understand a little more of what we are teaching about this wonderful God who desires to hurt no one but goes out of His way to find ways to save everyone.

Visit our web page:
www.vindicatinggod.org

Like us on Facebook:
https://www.facebook.com/vindicatinggod/

Follow us on Twitter:
https://twitter.com/_victoriousword

Subscribe to our YouTube channel:
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCXn0mUpckKTDhLiRiR5PIJg

No comments:

Post a Comment